Her words changed the world.

Clemens House, 1874

Nook Farm Map Location #3
Designed by architect Edward T. Potter for Samuel and Olivia Clemens, this eclectic, high Victorian house stands on Farmington Avenue at the northwest corner of Nook Farm. The Clemens family lived in the house until 1891 and sold it in 1903. Now The Mark Twain House & Museum, the home is open for public tours.

Clemens Family
Author and humorist Samuel Langhorne Clemens (1835-1910), best known as Mark Twain, married Olivia Langdon (1845-1904) in 1870. Thomas Beecher, Stowe's brother and a friend of both Samuel Clemens and Olivia Langdon, performed the ceremony. Twain had many connections to the Beechers. Stowe's brother Henry, well known and well-connected Brooklyn minister, helped him negotiate savvy terms for his book Innocents Abroad with a Hartford publisher. When the young Clemens couple moved to Hartford, they settled in Nook Farm, first renting John and Isabella Beecher Hooker's house and then building their own. They moved into their new home in 1874, where their three daughters Clara (1874-1962), Jean (1880-1909), and Susy (1872-1896) were raised. Clemens wrote his most famous books while he was living in this house, including The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn.

The Clemens home was just across the lawn from the Stowes. The Clemens' were a generation younger than the Stowes; Sam Clemens was just about the same age as the Stowe twins, Harriet and Eliza. The two families were friendly and often visited each other.

For more information visit the Mark Twain House website.